leftovers

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Big fish Begum Khaleda Zia- will she win power in the next election in Jan 07?


Something smells a little fishy...

I knew something was a little fishy when the usual huge stinky garbage container outside our office was absent when I arrived at work in the morning. I knew something was extremely fishy when I stepped outside my office and I couldn’t hear a single bike bell or a horn honk. I looked onto the street and there were no cars, rickshaws or cng’s anywhere in sight, instead numerous police and a very empty road in both directions. At first I thought a political demonstration about the factory workers was about to occur but then a colleague informed me that the Bangladesh PM was driving past. Where ever and when ever she goes streets are closed for 30 minutes to one hour to let her drive through. I counted 18 cars trailing hers when she finally drove past. Obviously she doesn’t like to see the real Bangladesh, the poor sifting through the rubbish, the rickshaw drivers trying to earn their $2 a day, the beggars in their numerous forms at the traffic lights (underweight children, the elderly, the blind, the burnt, the maimed and the limbless). No wonder this country is in turmoil. Someone let the woman see what is really happening in her country!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jodes,
    Looks like everything is going well and you are having quite the experience. Wish we were both in Newtown right now getting our drink on together...maybe one day in the future. Take care of you and keep the updates coming. You are actually using your degree unlike me :)

    Kerry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home