leftovers

Sunday, April 30, 2006





Fantasy Kingdom

Yesterday I accompanied 80 of the kids to Dhaka’s biggest theme park. Once a year they go on an excursion and I was lucky enough to witness their joy! I wasn’t feeling so sporty from an open bar night at the aussie club the night before (nothing like a good sing along when Brett Lee pulls out his guitar). Spinning around on the pirate ship or spider wasn’t on my top 10 list of things to do feeling the way I did. But the kids were so excited and I just couldn’t let them down!

The female staff members decided I needed some grooming and applied lippy, put flowers in my hair, gave me a new pair of earrings and applied a bindi.

At the park one boy was dancing and smiling as he watched his friends whiz around on the spider ride. They were all so happy and excited. The boys couldn’t stop holding my hand, picking flowers and playing with my hair (according to the boys I have dandruff and there is a special shampoo I can use to get rid of it).

As I didn’t feel up to riding in the morning, I gave my coupons to the kids to use. At the end of the day when I was feeling better the boys were a bit concerned that I didn’t ride the rollercoaster and managed to find a spare ticket and threw me on it (literally).

On our way home our bus brokedown and all 80 of us had to cram on one bus. Bengalis don’t like silence and so we had singing and poetry reading on the megaphone.

I farewelled one of the boys I had spent most of the day with (he's on the dinosaur above) who was always by my side holding my hand, with a big hug. Then everyone ran up for a hug too. Now they all keep asking me if they can come to Australia. These kids are stealing my heart!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home