leftovers

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

RECOVERING IN BANGKOK

I am writing from Bangkok international Hospital, feeling almost human again today. No more drip, no more needles, but still a pair of red legs that resemble a pom who has been lying on bondi beach for a few days without sunscreen. I don't even look like kramer anymore after the nurses washed my hair- first time in 10 days.

Last week my flatmate Elise rushed me to hospital in Dhaka where they tested me with a million tests and despite my gut feeling that I had dengue the doctors insisted that I had typhoid and were treating me for that. After a few days of getting worse and getting frustrated at the hospital staff our health and insurance company decided to fly me here to Bangkok for further diagnosis and treatment. So I had my own private jet and doctors transfer me to Bangkok Hospital where it took about 3 hours to be diagnosed with yep you guessed it dengue fever- sometimes a gal just has to trust her intuition... and her Thai doctors. I have type 3 dengue, it has stuffed up my liver for a bit and given me hepatitis. Good news is that I didn't get the worst form which affects the brain.

I keep mistakenly calling my hospital room a hotel room cause its the nicest place I have ever stayed in. I have a huge widescreen tv (just as well with my eyesight) 2 couches, a huge bathroom- I had my first hot shower today. The food even tastes like thai restaurant food.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the phone calls, flowers, and cards. All your contact has really cheered me up and made me feel good in a place away from home.

I might only be here for one or two more days. I am going to see if I can scam a few extra nights here so I can fly to phuket for a few more days rest before I head back to crazy dhaka ( i hear the protests are about to begin again) when mum will be visiting (yay!!!!!).

Thanks again for all your well wishes and I am feeling better everyday.

Love Jodes

2 Comments:

  • At 10:13 am, Blogger Single Guy said…

    Good to hear you are doing well!!! Take care of yourself!

     
  • At 4:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Jodes
    So glad to hear that you're getting better. We were a little worried.. As soon as I read about the food I knew you were on the mend!
    love Tam & Nato

     

Post a Comment

<< Home