leftovers

Monday, July 17, 2006


Village Escape and Hindu Wedding Mania

If kindness ever killed I would have died several deaths on my recent weekend away. My colleague Surjoy invited me to a Hindu wedding in his hindu home town outside Dhaka. It was an arranged marriage between a 21 year old female and a 29 year old male. They had only met once. The ceremony lasted 2-3 days. Music filled the air morning and night. Food flowed freely for over 1000 people. Hundreds of marigolds decorated the brides family courtyard. I was able to experience life in a Bangladeshi rural home for 4 days . I was one of the family. I was fed 5 times a day. I was even tucked into bed each night by Surjoy’s aunty. They were all sad to see me go and one of the neighbours even cried when I left. I think Bangladesh wins the most hospitable prize. I was sad to leave too but… Abar Mirzapur asbo!! I will come again Mirzapur !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home